Curried Cream of Celery Soup
30 minutes or fewer
Curry powder lends a spicy twist to this soothing standby.
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 celery stalks, diced (3½ cups)
- 1 large leek, white part halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced (2 cups)
- 1 Tbs. curry powder, such as Madras
- 1 14-oz. can light coconut milk
- 2 Tbs. rice
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped celery leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds on baking sheet, and toast 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add celery, leek, and salt; cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften. Stir in apples and curry powder; cook 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, rice, broth, and 21/2 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft when pierced with a fork.
3. Purée soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot, and stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle celery leaves and almonds on top.
April/May 2012 p.59