Serve this dish on its own or with steamed rice.
- 1 ½ Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, diced (3 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 3 Tbs. Madras curry powder
- 1 15-oz. can black beans
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. Stir in potatoes, carrots, and curry powder, and cook 4 minutes.
2. Add beans and their liquid, tomatoes, broth, jalapeño chiles, vinegar, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 45 minutes, or until potatoes are flaky and carrots are cooked through, stirring occasionally.