Curried Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
This deliciously easy soup
became an immediate favorite among VT staffers. It's even better the second day, after the spices have had more time to mingle.
- 2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 qt. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Bring lentils, vegetable broth, and 4 cups water to a simmer in large pot. Skim away foam that rises to top. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add cilantro, curry powder, and cumin, and cook 20 minutes more, or until lentils are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in lemon juice.
October 2009 p.63