Curried Red Lentil Soup
30 minutes or fewer
30 MINUTES OR LESSA lusty Indian-style soup, this dish can be made mild or hot to suit your taste.
- 1 cup hulled red lentils, rinsed in hot water
- 4 ½ cups nonfat vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs. nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger, or to taste
- ½ tsp. ground cumin, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. cayenne, or to taste
- ½ tsp. onion powder, or to taste
- Shredded coconut as garnish
- Dried peanuts as garnish
- Cilantro leaves as garnish
- Diced red pepper as garnish
- Chutney as garnish
- Raisins as garnish
- 1. Put lentils and vegetable stock in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Reduce heat to very low.
- 2. Put 2 cups lentils and yogurt into blender, and purée until smooth. Recombine with soup in pan, and stir in seasonings. Heat through, and serve, garnishing each portion as desired.
This soothing Indian dish, with its curry, cumin and cayenne spices, would work well with a light, sweet Gewurtztraminer such as the Handley Gewurtztraminer from California.