Curried Tofu Steaks with Papaya-Avocado Salsa
Papaya takes center stage in a light fruit salsa served over marinated tofu steaks.
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 8 slabs
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 lime, quartered, for garnish
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced ripe papaya
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped (1 Tbs.)
1. To make Tofu Steaks: Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix soy sauce with garlic and 1/3 cup water in shallow dish. Add tofu slabs, and marinate 10 minutes. Flip, and marinate 10 minutes more.
2. Remove tofu from marinade, and place onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with curry powder. Bake 40 minutes, or until golden brown, turning once.
3. Meanwhile, to make Salsa: Combine all ingredients in bowl. Chill.
4. Serve 2 Tofu Steaks topped with 3/4 cup Salsa. Garnish with lime wedges.
March 2014 p.65