Date Sugar Ginger Jewels
Makes 24 cookies
Rolling these festive cookies in rapadura (a Brazilian unrefined cane sugar) or turbinado sugar makes the outsides sparkle and also gives the treats a sweet crunch.
- 1 cup date sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) vegan margarine
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbs. blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbs. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup rapadura or turbinado sugar
1. Beat date sugar and margarine with electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes, or until creamy. Beat in egg, then molasses.
2. Whisk together flours, ginger, 1 tsp. cinnamon, baking soda, salt,
cloves, and nutmeg in bowl. Whisk in fresh ginger. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Cover, and chill 1 hour,
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with coconut oil or cooking spray. Combine rapadura with remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon on small plate.
4. Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar, and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies look dry. Cool 3 to 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire rack.