Delicata Squash Stuffed with Curried Wild Rice
You can substitute cooked couscous for the wild rice.
- 3 delicata squash, halved and seeded
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and minced
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup mango chutney
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place squash halves cut side down on baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes, just until squash is not quite cooked through. Remove from oven, and set aside until second baking.
- Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat, and add onions. Sauté onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add curry, cayenne, black pepper and cinnamon, and toss well. Add raisins, cashews and apples, and continue cooking until apples are soft. Add rice, yogurt and chutney, and toss well.
- Divide curried vegetables equally between squash halves. Bake squash 25 minutes, or until squash is tender and stuffing is heated through.
Look toward unctuous New World white wines such as Edmunds St. John Los Robles Viejos White Wine.