Devil’s Food Doughnuts
Makes 18 mini doughnuts
30 minutes or fewer
powder and semisweet baking chocolate give these confections a rich, chocolate flavor. For extra flair, add vegan sprinkles.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup plain soymilk
- ⅓ cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 4 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. egg replacer, such as Ener-G
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 Tbs. plain soymilk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
To make Doughnuts:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat doughnut pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
3. Combine soymilk, chocolate chips, margarine, and vinegar in saucepan, and warm until chocolate and margarine are melted. Cool. Whisk egg replacer with 2 Tbs. water in small bowl; whisk this mixture and vanilla extract into soymilk mixture. Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture.
4. Fill each doughnut mold half full with batter. Bake 12 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and Doughnuts spring back when pressed. Transfer Doughnuts to wire rack to cool, and repeat with remaining batter.
To make Glaze:
1. Combine confectioners’ sugar and soymilk in saucepan, and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and cool 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in vanilla.
2. Dip each doughnut into Glaze. Let Glaze set before serving.