Egg Noodles with Cabbage and Chard
30 minutes or fewer
Combining green cabbage with Swiss chard adds sweetness and color to this homey recipe. Season with salt at the end of cooking to keep the cabbage from turning soggy.
- 1 8-oz. pkg. egg noodles
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 tsp.)
- 1 head green or savoy cabbage, quartered, cored, and sliced into 1-inch-wide pieces (8 cups)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, large stems removed, leaves sliced into 1-inch-wide pieces (8 cups)
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. caraway seeds
- ⅛ tsp. cracked black peppercorns
1. Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
March 2010 p.75
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add cabbage and Swiss chard. Stir to coat with onion and garlic mixture. Add broth and vinegar, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until cabbage has softened. Stir in noodles and remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and cook 3 minutes more. Stir in caraway seeds and cracked peppercorns; season with salt, if desired.