- 1 lb. water-packed soft Chinese-style tofu
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup mild olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. mild olive oil
- 1 Tbs. minced onion
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 ½ Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. dried tarragon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- Pinch white pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ Tbs. kudzu, dissolved in 2 Tbs. water (or use same amount of cornstarch)
- 4 whole grain English muffins
- 8 slices vegetarian Canadian 'bacon'
- 8 slices tomato
- Minced parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Remove tofu from water; let stand in bowl 10 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk together lemon juice, oil and salt in a small bowl. Cut tofu into 8 slices. Arrange in baking dish; pour lemon mixture over tofu. Let marinate 15 minutes; drain excess marinade. Bake tofu 20 minutes (prepare hollandaise sauce while tofu bakes).
- Hollandaise Sauce: Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat; sauté onion until soft and golden, about 3 minutes. Put onion in blender or food processor with 1/3 cup soymilk; purée until smooth, about 20 seconds. Pour mixture back into pan. With wire whisk, mix in remaining soymilk, lemon juice, tarragon, salt ,turmeric, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir over medium heat until almost boiling. Add dissolved kudzu; stir until thickened. Makes about 1 cup.
- Assembly: Split muffins; top with ‘bacon.’ Heat in oven while tofu is baking. Top with tofu. Ladle on 1 tablespoon hollandaise, then 1 tomato slice and 1 more tablespoon hollandaise. Garnish with parsley.