Eggnog Pear Pie
Evaporated milk gives this festive fruit pie an extra-creamy texture.
- 20 gingersnaps, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 Tbs. butter, melted
- 4 medium pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 Tbs. finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large pinch salt
- 1 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 2 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine gingersnap crumbs and butter in bowl. Press into 10-inch pie pan. Bake 8 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Toss pears with ginger and lemon juice in bowl, then arrange in crust.
2. Whisk together sugar, eggs, and salt in bowl. Whisk in evaporated milk, vanilla, and nutmeg. Pour over pears. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F, and bake 1 hour, or until set.
November 2011 p.76