Makes about 3 cups
This spread may be made up to two days ahead, tightly covered and chilled. Bring it to room temperature, and serve with toasted bread slices.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 firm eggplant (about 1 ¼ lb.), cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes (about ¾ lb. total), cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. sugar
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, onion, garlic and salt to taste, and cook, stirring often, about 7 minutes, or until eggplant begins to brown. Reduce heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes more, or until eggplant is tender. Transfer to bowl, and let cool.
2. Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, lemon juice, sugar, remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend well. Serve at room temperature.