Oven-frying the eggplant slices makes a succulent dish that has only 9 grams of fatinstead of 20 or more.
3 large egg whites
1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 medium eggplants, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
2 ½ cups prepared marinara sauce
¾ cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 2 baking sheets and 8x11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg whites with 3 Tbs. water in bowl until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste in shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices into egg whites, then coat with breadcrumb mixture and arrange on baking sheets.
- Bake until golden; turn; bake until golden again, about 30 minutes total.
- Stir basil into marinara sauce. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in baking dish. Top with half of eggplant, slightly overlapping slices. Cover with 1 cup of sauce; sprinkle with half of mozzarella. Cover with remaining eggplant, and top with remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 10 minutes; serve.