Endive with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
Belgian endive are delicious cooked. This makes a lovely starter or side dish.
4 medium-sized Belgian endive
⅓ cup olive oil or flaxseed oil
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 450F. Cut endive in half lengthwise, and place halves, cut side up, in baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Fill dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with foil; bake 12 minutes, or until tender. Remove foil, and broil 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, purée all remaining ingredients in food processor. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide endive among plates; drizzle vinaigrette on each endive half.
* To roast garlic:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove several layers of white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves).
- Wrap garlic head in foil. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour; let cool 10 minutes.
- Remove foil, separate cloves and squeeze to extract pulp.