Extra-Creamy Chocolate- Dipped Strawberries
Makes 12 chocolate-covered strawberries
30 minutes or fewer
The subtle heat of cayenne pepper and cinnamon
add a little kick to this extra-thick chocolate dip. A touch of cream helps the chocolate set in about 15 minutes and eliminates the need for tempering (bringing it to a certain temperature) in order for it to set.
- 4 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 5 Tbs. heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon, optional
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- 12 large, long-stemmed strawberries or other dippers
1. Line baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Fill medium saucepan with 1 inch water, and bring to a boil.
2. Place chocolate, cream, cinnamon
(if using), and cayenne (if using) in nonreactive metal bowl that fits snugly in saucepan over water. Remove saucepan from heat, place bowl on top, cover, and let chocolate melt 3 minutes. Remove bowl from saucepan, and stir chocolate 1 minute, or until completely melted.
3. Hold 1 strawberry by stem, and dip halfway into chocolate. Gently scrape some chocolate from 1 side of strawberry (to avoid chocolate “foot”), and place scraped side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strawberries and chocolate. Chill 15 minutes or up to 24 hours before serving.
January/February 2013 p.56