Farmers’ Market Pizza
Why rely on store-bought tomato sauce when you can make your own with summer tomatoes? Here, grilled, whole tomatoes are blended with seasonings for a speedy homemade sauce.
- 1 Tbs. canola or grapeseed oil, plus more for brushing grill grate
- 3 plum tomatoes (¾ lb.)
- 2 Tbs. fresh oregano
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups large broccoli florets
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into 3 wedges
- 1 small yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced into 3 wedges
- ½ red onion, sliced into thick rings
- ¼ cup canola or grapeseed oil for tossing with vegetables
- 1 Par-Baked Pizza Crust
- 1 Tbs. capers, drained (optional)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1. Brush grill grate well with canola oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. To make Tomato Sauce: Brush tomatoes with 1 Tbs. canola oil. Grill 5 minutes, or until tender and slightly charred. Purée tomatoes, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes in blender or food processor. Transfer to bowl.
3. To make Pizza: Toss broccoli, bell peppers, and onion with canola oil in bowl. Place in grill basket or thread onto wooden skewers, and grill 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Cool until easy to handle, then thinly slice bell peppers.
4. Spread Tomato Sauce on Par-Baked Pizza Crust. Top with vegetables, capers (if using), and black pepper. Place Pizza on grill, close lid, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is warmed and bottom of crust is crispy.
July/August 2012 p.68