30 minutes or fewer
Pomegranate molasses and sumac add a tart edge to this Lebanese salad. They can be found in Middle Eastern groceries and well-stocked supermarkets and used to flavor many other vegetable dishes. Choose larger cherry tomato varieties that can stand up to the other vegetables and the pita chips.
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. pomegranate molasses
- 2 tsp. ground sumac
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, halved and sliced into ½-inch-thick ribbons (4 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 small Persian cucumbers, diced (2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice (1 cup)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (½ cup)
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 3Tbs. thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1 ½ cups plain pita chips, coarsely broken up
- ½ cup crumbled feta (2 oz.)
1. To make Vinaigrette: whisk together all ingredients in small bowl.
2. To make Salad: Toss together lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions, parsley, and mint in large salad bowl. Add Vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Sprinkle pita chips over top of Salad, and toss again. Top with feta.
July/August 2012 p.58