Fennel, Beet, and Citrus Salad with Yogurt Dressing
30 minutes or fewer
A dressing made with Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese offers tart-and-creamy satisfaction with much less fat than a typical ranch-style dressing. Wait until the last minute to stir the beets into the salad—this will prevent the whole dish from turning pink.
- 3 Tbs. 2% Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1½ Tbs. finely chopped chives or green onion
- 1 7-oz. bag romaine blend salad greens
- 1 large head fennel, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. cooked beets, sliced into ¼-inch-thick half-moons
- 2 large oranges, peeled and sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
1. To make Dressing: Blend yogurt, Parmesan, vinegar, oil, and brown sugar in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in chives.
2. To assemble Salad: Toss salad greens and fennel with 3 Tbs. Dressing in large bowl. Toss beets with remaining Dressing in small bowl. Just before serving, stir beets into salad. Break up orange slices into bite-size pieces, sprinkle atop salad, and serve.
November/December 2010 p.34