Fines Herbes Potato Rosti
30 minutes or fewer
Fines herbes is a French blend of equal parts chervil, chives, parsley, and tarragon. Here, the combination transforms a simple potato pancake.
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and grated (1 ½ lb.)
- 4 tsp. fresh chervil, coarsely chopped
- 4 tsp. fresh chives, coarsely chopped
- 4 tsp. fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 4 tsp. fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
1. Squeeze as much liquid as possible out of grated potato, then place in bowl, and toss with chervil, chives, parsley, and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in 9-inch skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Press potato mixture into pan, and cook 10 minutes, or until bottom of rosti is golden brown. Loosen bottom and sides of rosti, then slide onto plate. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan, flip rosti back into pan (browned side up), and cook 10 to 15 minutes more, or until second side of rosti is golden brown. Loosen rosti, then slide onto serving plate.
April/May 2013 p.42