Finnish Marmalade Muffins
For these lush muffins, select biscuits such as the Old-Fashioned Swedish Style Vanilla Snaps.
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 cup sweet biscuit crumbs
1 cup (about 5 oz.) ground almonds
1 cup whole milk
6 Tbs. orange or apricot marmalade
½ cup water
⅓ cup sugar
½ cup confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter 18 muffin cups thoroughly, and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add one egg at a time, beating mixture well after each addition. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cardamom, biscuit crumbs and almonds. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk and beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Blend just until smooth, taking care not to overmix. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake in middle of oven for 5 minutes. Drop 1 teaspoon marmalade into center of each muffin, and bake for 12 to 13 minutes more, or until firm and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, stir together water and sugar, and bring to a boil over medium heat, cooking for 30 seconds. Use a pastry brush to moisten muffins thoroughly with sugar syrup after muffins come from oven. Set aside to cool completely, and remove muffins from baking cups.
- Meanwhile, stir together confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle muffins with icing, and let dry for a few minutes before serving.
MAKES 18 MUFFINS