Makes 12 brownies
If you’ve ever looked at holiday treats and thought, “Those look too hard to make,” this recipe’s for you.
Frosting & decoration
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. guar gum
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. vegan margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ½ Tbs. soymilk
- 1 ½ tsp. mint extract
- 1–2 drops green food coloring
- Black tube frosting
1. To make Brownies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch square pan with foil, and coat with cooking spray.
2. Melt chocolate with oil in saucepan over low heat. Stir in sugar, 1/2 cup water, and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, guar gum, and salt in bowl. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool.
3. To make Frosting: Beat margarine and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in bowl. Stir in soymilk, mint extract, and food coloring. Beat in remaining confectioners’ sugar.
4. Lift Brownie from pan. Trim edges, and cut into 12 rectangles. Trim corners off 1 short side of each rectangle to create chins. Spread green Frosting on Brownies. Draw faces with black tube frosting.
October 2011 p.34