Fresh Pea Soup with Tarragon
Warm or chilled, this bright green soup
is the epitome of spring. Tarragon has a strong, slightly anise-y flavor, so a little goes a long way in recipes.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced (1 ½ cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1 Tbs. tarragon leaves
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, and sauté 7 to 9 minutes, or until soft. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add vegetable broth and 1 cup water, and bring to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stir in peas, and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and cool 30 minutes.
2. Purée soup in blender with tarragon leaves until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled, with sliced radishes on top.
April 2008 p.64