Fresh Rhubarb Parfaits
This quick technique of cooking rhubarb in a dry skillet keeps the pieces firm and intact. The cooked rhubarb also makes a nice topping for morning toast.
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 lb. rhubarb, about 6 medium stalks, cut into ½-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1medium orange, juiced and zest grated (⅓ cup juice; 2 Tbs. zest)
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 qt. vanilla soy ice cream (or low-fat plain yogurt)
1. Place 4 large wine glasses in freezer to chill.
2. Spread rhubarb in single layer in large skillet, and heat over medium heat. When rhubarb sizzles, cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes without stirring. Remove lid, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until liquid is evaporated and rhubarb is tender, but not mushy. Transfer to bowl.
3. Combine maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest, and ginger in
small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 7 minutes, or until mixture is syrupy. Fold syrup into rhubarb. Cool.
4. Scoop 1/4 cup soy ice cream into bottom of each chilled wine glass. Top with 1/4 cup rhubarb and another 1/4-cup scoop ice cream. Divide remaining rhubarb among glasses.