"Frog in the Well"
This Americanized vegetarian version of the popular British dish Toad in the Hole—classically a Yorkshire pudding-and-sausage dish baked in a hot oven—brings together soy sausages, Gruyere cheese, eggs and sourdough bread in a quick-fix brunch or supper dish. Pair this with sliced fresh fruit or a tossed green salad with a tart vinaigrette dressing, plus something sweet for dessert, such as a custard, British trifle or scones spread with lemon curd or strawberry jam.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray 4-inch round heatproof baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut hole in center of bread slice. Place 1 egg and milk in large mixing bowl, and beat well. Stir in grated cheese. Place bread slice in mixture, submerging so it absorbs egg mixture.
- Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat, and sauté “sausages” until golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place bread slice into heatproof baking dish. Crack second egg into hole, place cooked “sausages” around bread and pour remaining egg mixture over top.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until eggs are set and cheese is browned. Remove from oven, and season with salt and pepper.
If you’re eating this dish early in the day, consider serving a toasty, sparkling wine such as Champagne—and pass some hollandaise sauce as well. For dinner, serve a light red wine from the Côtes-du-Rhône.