Makes 8 calzones
30 minutes or fewer
Warm-from-the-oven turnovers filled with fresh fruit and a touch of jam offer a healthful alternative to toaster pastries. There’s no way to overwork prepared pizza dough, so kids can squeeze, flatten, and roll as much as they like.
- 1 1-lb. pkg. pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 8 tsp. all-fruit spread
- 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, grated
- ½ cup blueberries, raspberries, sliced cherries, dried fruit, etc.
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 500°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Divide pizza dough into 8 small balls. Roll out balls to 4- x 6-inch ovals on well-floured work surface.
3. Line up dough ovals on work surface. Brush edges with water. Place 1 tsp. fruit spread inside water-brushed edge on bottom third of oval. Top with 1 tsp. grated apple and 1 Tbs. berries. Fold top dough half over fruit filling; press on edges to seal. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4. Transfer calzones to prepared baking sheet, flipping over so smooth (bottom) side is on top. Crimp edges with fork to seal. Brush calzones with water, and sprinkle with sugar, if using.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until calzones are golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
September 2012 p.36