A lightly sweetened vanilla yogurt is prepared over fruit preserves for a stir-in option. For best results, choose preserves that aren’t too firm.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- ⅓ cup instant skim milk powder, optional
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- ½ cup fruit preserves, such as fruit-only jam
- ¼ cup organic live-culture plain yogurt or 5 g freeze-dried yogurt culture
1. Heat milk to scalding point (170°F; 77°C) in saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk in skim milk powder, if using. Remove from heat, and stir in honey and vanilla. Cool 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until milk temperature reaches 110° to 120°F (44° to 49°C) on instant-read thermometer, stirring once or twice.
2. Spoon 1 Tbs. preserves into each empty yogurt cup.
3. Whisk together yogurt and 1/2 cup milk mixture in bowl. Whisk yogurt mixture into remaining milk mixture. Pour into cups over preserves, and place in yogurt maker. Set timer for 8 hours. Check 1 container after 8 hours; if yogurt has reached desired texture, remove cups from yogurt maker. If not, replace test cup, and ferment 1 to 2 hours more. Chill.
April/May 2011 p.46