Garlic and Herb Brazil Nut “Cheese”
Brazil nuts have one of the highest fat contents of all nuts, which gives this vegan cheese its rich and creamy taste and texture. They're also rich in selenium, a powerful antioxidant.
- 1 ⅓ cups raw Brazil nuts
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
1. Place nuts in bowl, and cover with water. Refrigerate 6 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Drain water from nuts, and place in bowl of food processor with lemon juice, 3 Tbs. oil, garlic, salt and 1/4 cup water. Blend 8 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Line 1-qt. bowl with clean kitchen towel, and spoon mixture in center of towel. Bring corners and sides of towel together, and twist around mixture, forming into large, grapefruit-size ball. Squeeze to extract excess liquid.
3. Combine parsley, rosemary, thyme and pepper in bowl. Carefully unwrap cheese ball, and coat with herbs. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes, or until ball begins to crack. Transfer to platter, and drizzle with remaining oil. Serve warm or at room temperature with crackers and fresh vegetables.