Ginger-Grapefruit Spinach Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Organic spinach is readily available, reasonably priced and one of the Environmental Working Group's organic produce recommendations.
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 1 6-oz. bag organic baby spinach
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. organic ketchup
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1. To make Salad: Slice peel from top and bottom of grapefruit. Stand one grapefruit on work surface and cut away peel and pith with serrated knife. Repeat with remaining grapefruit. Slice segments from membranes, and set aside.
2. To make Dressing: Squeeze grapefruit juice from remaining membranes. Whisk 3 Tbs. juice with vegetable oil, ketchup, ginger, mustard, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Place spinach, almonds, and grapefruit segments in large salad bowl. Toss with dressing, and serve.
September 2006 p.84