Ginger-Plum Sour Cream Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 9-inch round pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper, then spray parchment with cooking spray.
2. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and ginger in small saucepan. Warm over medium-low heat 2 minutes, or until sugar liquefies and mixture becomes paste-like. Stir in lemon zest, and set aside.
3. Beat butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then beat in sour cream until mixture is smooth. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat 3 minutes more, or until batter is light in color and very smooth. Stir in ginger mixture with spatula.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange plums cut side up over batter. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
5. Cool cake 20 minutes in pan on wire rack. Run knife around sides of cake, then gently invert onto platter or large plate. Remove parchment, then invert cake again, plum side up, to cool completely on wire rack.