Goat Cheese-Arugula Bruschetta
Makes 32 bruschetta
30 minutes or fewer
A seasoned goat cheese spread and a lemony arugula sauce make a duo of tasty toppings for these bruschetta. Both can be prepared up to two days ahead. Fresh baguette slices rather than the toasted bread usually associated with bruschetta make these easier to eat as an hors d’oeuvre.
Goat Cheese Spread
- 8 oz. fresh, soft goat cheese,
- such as chèvre
- 2 Tbs. goat milk or low-fat milk
- 4 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped chives
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 French or sourdough baguette, cut into 32 slices
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup arugula, for garnish
1. To make Goat Cheese Spread: Mash goat cheese with goat milk in bowl. Stir in arugula, chives, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Arugula Sauce: Blend arugula, garlic, and lemon zest in food processor until finely chopped. Add olive oil and lemon juice, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To assemble Bruschetta: Spread each baguette slice with 11/2 tsp. Goat Cheese Spread. Top with 1/2 tsp. Arugula Sauce. Garnish each with cherry tomato half and several arugula leaves.
July/August 2011 p.77