Graham Biscotti with Pistachios and Lemon
Makes 60 biscotti
Graham flour adds a wonderful malted flavor as well as a nubbly texture.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup graham flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 cup shelled raw pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Beat brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest with electric mixer 5 minutes, or until tripled in volume. Beat in flour mixture. Stir in lemon juice, then pistachios.
March 2010 p.66
2. Dampen hands, and use to shape dough into 2 12- x 2 1/2-inch logs. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Slice warm logs with serrated knife into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Lay biscotti slices flat on baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes. Turn biscotti with spatula, and bake 7 to 10 minutes more, or until golden brown on both sides. Cool on wire rack.