Grated Raw Beet Salad with Jicama, Avocado, and Orange
30 minutes or fewer
Raw beets taste similar to raw carrots in that they’re sweet, juicy, and crisp. Jicama, a Mexican root vegetable that looks like a large, pale, round potato, is crunchy and mild when peeled and eaten raw. If you can’t find jicama, simply substitute cubed cucumber in this salad.
- 2 cups grated jicama
- 2 cups grated raw beets (3 medium beets)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned, each section cut into thirds
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs. thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1½ Tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Place beets in medium bowl along with jicama, avocado, orange, and cilantro.
2. Whisk together orange juice concentrate, lime juice, cumin, and coriander. Whisk in oil. Pour over beet mixture, and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle each serving with toasted pumpkin seeds.