Green and Yellow Bean Salad
SERVES 4 TO 6
For the best flavor, let beans marinate.
- 1 lb. green beans
- 1 lb. yellow wax beans
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tsp. minced jalapeño or serrano chiles, or to taste
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar, or to taste
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced crisp fried shallots or garlic, if desired, for garnish
Bring 3 quarts lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat. Blanch beans separately until crisp-tender. Immediately plunge beans into ice water, drain and set aside. Whisk remaining ingredients together and toss beans with dressing to coat. Let marinate for 1 hour. Serve garnished with fried shallots, if desired.
For this recipe, a rich Cabernet, Merlot or Syrah would go nicely.