Grill-Roasted Apples with Candied Ginger
Here’s a quick dessert you can throw on the grill with whatever else you’re making for a summer cookout. Larger apples may take longer to cook; give them a gentle squeeze with tongs to test for doneness—they should feel soft.
1. Preheat grill over medium heat.
2. Core apples from stem down, leaving bottoms of apples intact.
3. Set out 4 heavy-duty foil squares shiny side down, and place 1 apple on each piece of foil, cored side up. Spoon 1 tsp. water into center of each apple, then fill each apple with 1 tsp. apricot jam, 1/2 tsp. candied ginger, and 1/4 tsp. butter. Finish filling each apple with 1 additional tsp. jam.
4. Wrap apples tightly in foil, folding edges over cored opening for easy access. Grill apples 20 minutes, or until soft inside, turning three or four times during grilling. (Avoid turning upside down.) Remove from grill to cool 5 minutes.
5. Heat remaining 1/2 cup jam, 2 Tbs. candied ginger, 1 Tbs. butter, and 1/4 cup water in saucepan. Simmer 1 minute.
6. To serve: Carefully remove foil from around apples, and gently squeeze apples to enlarge top opening (like a baked potato). Scoop 1/4 cup ice cream into each apple, and drizzle with warm sauce.