Grill-Roasted Peppers with Goat Cheese and Sautéed Summer Corn
Roasting a bell pepper on the grill is easy and yields great results. Grill, steam, and peel ahead if you like; arrange in baking dish and gently reheat before serving. Choose large, blocky peppers for this recipe.
Sautéed Summer Corn
- 4 yellow or orange bell peppers
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese, softened to room temperature
- Thinly sliced fresh chives or chopped parsley, for garnish
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small (1 ¼ cups)
- 1 tsp. salt, optional
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1. Heat gas grill to high (no need to preheat). Put bell peppers directly on grate, and cook 10 to 20 minutes, or until blackened in places, turning every few minutes. Transfer to bowl, cover with foil, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Peel bell peppers over bowl to catch juices; discard skin. Cut bell peppers in half, leaving stems in, and arrange cut side up in baking dish.
2. Mix goat cheese with 21/2 Tbs. reserved bell pepper juices in small bowl. Divide goat cheese mixture among bell pepper halves. (Don’t worry if bell pepper halves are somewhat misshapen.) Refrigerate if working ahead. Remove from fridge 1 hour before serving.
3. To make Sautéed Summer Corn: Heat oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt (if using), cover, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium, and sauté 4 minutes more. Add butter, corn, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt (if using). Cook 5 minutes, or until corn is glistening but still firm. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and parsley; season with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Warm bell pepper halves in oven 8 to 10 minutes. Remove bell peppers from oven, and spoon sautéed corn into each half. Transfer bell peppers to serving plates. Spoon any remaining corn over and around bell peppers. Garnish with chives.
September 2012 p.58