Grilled Asparagus Vinaigrette
For grilling, we prefer asparagus with thick stems, but the pencil-thin spears are perfectly acceptable.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs. red wine or white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small head Boston or butter lettuce, separated into individual leaves
- 1 to 1 ¼ lb. asparagus
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Prepare medium-hot charcoal fire, or preheat gas grill (or broiler).
To make Vinaigrette:
2. Combine garlic, basil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in bowl. Slowly pour in olive oil, whisking until oil is fully incorporated.
To make Salad:
3. Divide lettuce among four plates, or arrange on large platter.
4. Brush asparagus with vinaigrette. Grill, turning occasionally, until asparagus is tender and grill-marked, about 8 minutes.
5. Arrange asparagus on lettuce. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Garnish with Parmesan, if using, and serve.