Grilled Caesar Salad Tartines
30 minutes or fewer
Unlike most lettuces, firm hearts of romaine stand up beautifully to the heat of the grill as they develop smoky flavor. This is a knife-and-fork sandwich.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- 3 ½ Tbs. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 Tbs. low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tsp. Dijon mustard, divided
- 1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1 oz. for shaving into curls
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 2 romaine hearts, each halved
- 4 large slices crusty Italian bread (½-inch thick)
- 1 clove garlic, halved
1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. Whisk together yogurt, 1 Tbs. lemon juice, mayonnaise, 1 tsp. mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in bowl. Stir in 3 Tbs. Parmesan; season with pepper.
3. Whisk together olive oil, remaining 1 Tbs. lemon juice, and remaining 2 tsp. mustard in separate bowl. Brush oil mixture over romaine halves. Grill 6 minutes, turning once, or until brown around edges. Transfer to platter.
4. Grill bread 1 minute on each side. Rub garlic halves over toast slices. Spread yogurt mixture on toast slices, and top with grilled romaine halves. Shave Parmesan curls over top.
July/August 2011 p.64