Grilled Green and White Asparagus with Aioli and Smoky Red Pepper Purée
30 minutes or fewer
The sauce duo gives this dish an elegant burst of contrasting color, but you could keep it easy and whip up just one sauce—you'll still have plenty for dipping.
Smoky Red Pepper Purée
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise, such as Vegenaise
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. agave nectar or honey
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ lb. green asparagus (24 to 30 medium-size spears), trimmed
- 1 ½ lb. white asparagus (24 to 30 medium-size spears), trimmed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil or vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
To make Aioli:
1. Chop garlic on cutting board; add salt, and mash into fine paste with side of knife. Whisk together garlic and oil in small bowl. Whisk in mayonnaise.
To make Smoky Red Pepper Purée:
2. Purée peppers, agave nectar, oil, and paprika in blender or food processor until smooth, adding 2 to 3 Tbs. water, if needed, to obtain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
To make Grilled Asparagus:
3. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss asparagus with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Grill asparagus 4 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and soft, turning once.
4. Arrange asparagus on platter, and garnish with lemon wedges and a drizzle of Aioli and Smoky Red Pepper Purée. Serve hot or at room temperature.