Grilled Insalata Caprese
30 minutes or fewer
Grilling tomatoes intensifies their flavor and takes a traditional Italian
starter to the next level.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- 2 large red tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 2 large yellow tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 2 tsp. garlic oil, plus more for brushing tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, halved, each half thinly sliced
- 12 leaves fresh basil
1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. Brush tomato slices with garlic oil, season with salt and pepper (if desired), and place on grill. Cook 8 minutes, turning once, or until tomato slices are juicy and grill-marked.
3. Arrange tomato and mozzarella in alternating pattern on serving plate. Drizzle with 2 tsp. garlic oil, and top with basil leaves.
July/August 2011 p.66