Grilled Pineapple and Macadamia Nut Salsa
30 minutes or fewer
Grilled pineapple and macadamia nuts give this salsa a hint of the tropics. Serve with chips or as a topping for grilled tofu cutlets. If you can’t find macadamia nuts, replace them with toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts.
- 1 large pineapple, quartered
- ½ cup unsalted dry-roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. seeded and diced jalapeño chile
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- ¾ tsp. chipotle chile powder
1. Preheat grill or grill pan. Grill pineapple quarters 4 minutes on each side, or until tender and juicy and dark brown char marks appear.
2. Chop pineapple into 1/4-inch cubes, and transfer to bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
January/February 2012 p.63