Grilled Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde
30 minutes or fewer
Juicy, earthy portobello mushrooms
make these tacos a mouthwatering treat. Don't worry if the mushroom caps seem slightly undercooked when you pull them from the grill; leave them out on a plate, and they will continue to cook (this is called carryover cooking).
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps
- 6 6-inch soft corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Vegan sour cream, optional
- 4 tomatillos, chopped (or 1 cup canned)
- 1 large green bell pepper or poblano chile, roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp. organic sugar or agave nectar
- 1 ¼ tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. To make Marinade: combine all ingredients in small bowl.
To make Tacos:
2. Brush mushroom caps with marinade. Grill mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cool until easy to handle, then slice into strips.
To make Salsa Verde:
3. Purée all ingredients in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour salsa over mushroom strips, and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Lightly warm tortillas 15 seconds per side in skillet or on griddle. Fill tortillas with sliced mushrooms, avocado slices, tomatoes, and cabbage. Top each taco with sour cream, if using.
April 2010 p.71