Grilled Seitan Bulgogi
“This recipe was part of a series of Lost-inspired dinners during the show’s final season,” says Blogger Jess Scone. “The characters of Sun and her father, Mr. Paik, were my inspirations for the dish. If you can’t geek out on your food blog, where can you?” Serve with steamed greens and rice.
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. sherry
- 2 Tbs. dark agave nectar
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped (¼ cup)
- 2 lb. plain seitan, sliced on the bias
1. Whisk together broth, soy sauce, sherry, agave nectar, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, and pepper in shallow dish. Stir in green onions. Add seitan; marinate 2 hours.
2. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium. Drain seitan, and grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned and firm.
July/August 2011 p.54