Grilled Vegetable Panzanella
30 minutes or fewer
Grilled summer vegetables require little seasoning to taste spectacular in this hearty bread salad.
- 4 slices rustic French bread (8 oz.)
- 1 12-oz. pkg. cherry tomatoes
- 16 large green beans (4 oz.)
- 1 large yellow squash, quartered lengthwise
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 small head radicchio, diced
- 1 oz. chilled blue cheese, crumbled or coarsely grated (⅓ cup)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
1. Coat grill pan or basket with cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat.
2. Grill bread slices 3 to 4 minutes per side until crisp and lightly charred. Slice into cubes, and transfer to large bowl.
3. Coat tomatoes, green beans, and squash lightly with cooking spray, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Arrange in separate groups on prepared grill pan or in grill basket. Grill 8 minutes, or until squash and beans are charred and just tender, and tomatoes are splitting open, turning vegetables occasionally.
4. Transfer all but 4 tomatoes to medium bowl. Press tomatoes in bowl slightly to release juices. Spoon tomatoes, and then their juices, over toast cubes.
5. Whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic in large serving bowl. Add remaining 4 tomatoes, mash coarsely, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cut green beans and squash crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Add cut vegetables, radicchio, and blue cheese to bowl with dressing. Toss to coat. Add bread cube mixture, and toss to coat. Sprinkle chopped eggs over top.
July/August 2013 p.27