Grilled Watermelon Fillets with Watercress and Mint
30 minutes or fewer
If you’ve never tasted grilled watermelon, this scrumptious recipe will show you how a little heat concentrates the fruit’s texture and flavor.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- 4 1-inch-thick slices watermelon, rind removed (1½ lb.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- 6 cups watercress, coarsely chopped
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (¾ cup)
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. Brush watermelon slices with olive oil. Grill watermelon slices 5 minutes, or until just scorched around edges.
3. Whisk together balsamic vinegar and agave nectar in bowl. Toss half of vinegar mixture with watercress in large bowl.
4. Divide watercress salad among 4 plates. Top with grilled watermelon; garnish with feta cheese, mint, and remaining vinegar mixture.
July/August 2011 p.66