Height-of-Summer Tomato Salad
We’ve taken the classic tomato-basil combination and turned it into an easy-to-eat salad
(no knives necessary) that showcases the incredible flavor of sun-ripened summer tomatoes. Make the dressing ahead, and let sit overnight in the fridge to maximize flavor.
- ⅔ cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 12 oz. heirloom or other peak-season tomatoes, cut into different shapes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, and sliced
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ oz. ricotta salata, crumbled
1. To make Dressing: Purée basil and garlic with 1/2 tsp. olive oil in food processor. Stir in remaining olive oil.
2. To make Salad: Toss together tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and ricotta salata in large bowl. Pour Dressing over mixture, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with basil leaves.
July/August 2010 p.59