Heirloom Tomato and Nectarine Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Pairing tomatoes and stone fruit creates the perfect balance of acidity and sweetness in this herb-laced salad. For best appearance, dress just before serving; for deeper flavor, dress and toss slightly ahead of time.
- 2 ½ lb. heirloom tomatoes (use combination of cherry and beefsteak tomatoes)
- 1 ½ lb. nectarines, peeled and cut into ½-inch wedges
- 8 green onions, white and most of green parts thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. orange juice
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, optional
- 1 cup small mint and basil leaves
1. Core large tomatoes, and cut into 3/4-inch wedges or chunks. Stem cherry tomatoes, and cut in half. Put tomatoes in serving bowl. Add nectarines and green onions.
2. Whisk together oil, orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, and salt (if using). Pour over tomatoes and nectarines. Add 3/4 cup herbs, and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup herbs.
September 2012 p.62