Herb-Crusted Tofu with Mushroom Gravy
30 minutes or fewer
Suchitra Swift created this savory dish while playing around with ways to make crispy tofu. A lifelong vegetarian, she teaches first grade in Harlem, NY.
1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu
½ cup cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried Italian herbs
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ cup vegetable oil
1 small onion, minced
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. dried rosemary
5 white mushrooms, chopped
½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tsp. cornstarch
- Drain tofu, and cut into 6 slices.
- To make Herb Crust: Combine all ingredients except oil in shallow bowl.
- To make Mushroom Gravy: Sauté onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add rosemary, mushrooms and pinch of salt. Add broth, and simmer until mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in large skillet over high heat. Coat each tofu cutlet with Herb Crust. Set in oil, and fry 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat Gravy over high heat. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; whisk into gravy until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Spoon Mushroom Gravy over tofu cutlets, and serve.