Herb-Roasted Squash and Jerusalem Artichokes
When roasted, Jerusalem artichokes (aka sunchokes) turn soft and starchy and have an earthy taste that pairs well with sweet butternut squash. In this recipe, Jerusalem artichokes are cooked with the skin on for extra flavor and texture.
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
- 1 lb. small Jerusalem artichokes, unpeeled and scrubbed
- 1 medium red onion, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 1 ½ Tbs. garlic oil
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Toss together all ingredients in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and spread on baking sheet. Roast 1 hour, or until vegetables are soft and golden, turning several times with spatula.
October 2011 p.62