Herbed Pea Salad in Lettuce Cups
Makes 30 lettuce cups
30 minutes or fewer
Small butter lettuce leaves are used as edible mini serving bowls for a delicate salad
of spring peas and fresh herbs. Recipe from Gisele Perez, Small Pleasures Catering, Los Angeles.
Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup soy mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. minced shallots, optional
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 6 Tbs. slivered almonds
- 2 cups frozen petite peas, thawed
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- 30 small inner leaves of butter lettuce, 2 to 3 inches wide each (about 3 heads lettuce)
1. To make Vinaigrette: Whisk together all ingredients except oil in medium bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
2. To make Lettuce Cups: Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread almonds on baking sheet and toast 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden.
3. Toss peas, dill, and toasted almonds with 9 Tbs. vinaigrette in small bowl.
4. Place large spoonful of pea salad in center of each butter lettuce leaf or “cup.” Drizzle each cup with 1 tsp. vinaigrette. Set on serving tray and serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels until ready to serve.
May/June 2006 p.84