Home-Style Tofu and Rice
30 minutes or fewer
Serve this savory dish with a side of sautéed greens or steamed broccoli.
- 1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.), divided
- 3 ½ Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 5 tsp. toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 ½ tsp. dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped shallots, divided
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place tofu in bowl with 2 tsp. garlic.
2. Whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, brown sugar, pepper, and 1 Tbs. water in small bowl. Pour over tofu; toss gently to coat. Set aside to marinate.
3. Heat 2 tsp. sesame oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add
1/2 cup shallots, followed by mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in rice and remaining 2 tsp. garlic. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Heat remaining 2 tsp. sesame oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and remaining 1/2 cup shallots. Stir-fry 5 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup water.
5. Spoon rice into serving bowls. Top with tofu, and sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup cilantro.
March 2013 p.34